Since 2000, PANTONE, a world-renowned authority on color, released their Spring 2017 Fashion Color Report, featuring 10 colors you’re sure to see in fashion and other places in the spring and summer. Like in years past, the 2017 color report is no disappointment.
“One of the things that we saw this year, was a renewed sense of imagination in which color was appearing in context that was different than the traditional," said Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute. "Reminiscent of the hues that surround us in nature, our Spring 2017 Fashion Color Report evokes a spectrum of emotion and feeling.”
Here’s our rundown of the best ways to use this season’s hottest colors and how to use them around the pool this summer.
1. Niagara: This classic denim-like blue exudes relaxation and comfort. As a must use color, Niagara is perfect for vases, table linens or curtain ties.
2. Primrose Yellow: A bright-sun yellow, Primrose Yellow is full of joy and vitality. This sunny color takes you to tropical destinations and sunny days and is the perfect inspiration for a new area rug or the perfect set of lantern lights!
3. Lapis Blue: Strong and confidant, this intense blue pops when used in throw pillows or even new covers for deck furniture cushions. It’s also easy to add other bold layers of color, like Flame, Pink Yarrow, Primrose Yellow or Greenery, on top of this hue’s sturdy base.
4. Flame: As a red-based orange, Flame is flamboyant and vivacious. This makes Flame perfect for a new patio umbrella, oversized flowerpots or mixed with tiny vases of other colors for tabletops or shelves.
5. Island Paradise: This cool blue shade reminds us of our inner desires to escape to an island paradise. Since it is emblematic of tropical settings, this color the epitome of the seaside (and poolside) palette. Try it in comfy throw blankets near the outdoor fire pit or layer it in with other colors in your poolside stash of towels.
6. Pale Dogwood: Invoking a tranquil mood, this quiet and peaceful pink shade would be ideal for subtle, billowy curtains either leading out to the pool deck or framing the windows of your outdoor gazebo.
7. Greenery: A tangy yellow-green, Greenery is nature’s neutral color. The refreshing color adds a spirit of reinvigoration to any space. By adding ferns or other green plants to your poolscape and you’ll feel transported to your own tropical paradise.
8. Pink Yarrow: This bold, tropical and festive color is ready for a party. This stunning pink is a perfect addition to your outdoor dinnerware set or as a pop of color with flowers, on your table, garden or in your hair.
9. Kale: Deep greens are reminiscent of a healthy lifestyle and Kale is no exception! Kick off the year with Kale not on your plate, but accenting your poolside. This earthy green is perfect for planters, throw pillows or dinner napkins, and is the perfect background to more bold colors, like Flame, Pink Yarrow, Primrose Yellow or Lapis Blue.
10. Hazelnut: This key neutral teams up well with the season’s brightest colors. As an unpretentious and inherently warm color, this earthy option can help achieve a balance and connect bolder color choices. Need new paint around your poolside space? Hazelnut is the perfect choice for tables, chairs, benches or anything that could use a fresh, neutral coat of paint.
PANTONE’s Color of the Year 2017 is Greenery. This lush, yellow-green, is also a popular color this season. Let Greenery inspire you to slow down, take a deep breath and reconnect with nature. Reinvigorate yourself and fill your space with nature’s neutral color, Greenery. Since it is a versatile or “trans-seasonal” color, Greenery is the perfect color to add to your poolscape this year because it coordinates well with many color combinations, including neutrals, brights, pastels, metallic and deeper shades.
What do you think of the colors PANTONE chose? What colors would you have picked? Do you have any other ideas on how to use these colors around your pool? Sound off in the comments; we’d love to hear from you!